Pages

Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Ache, A Work-in-Progress

the finished installation, "Ache"

My participation in "Off the Wall" at the ECU Metals Symposium couldn't have come at a better time. I've been moving an idea around in my mind for some new autobiographical one-of-a-kind work. I'm not going to detail the concept yet as I'm still figuring it out, but in the meantime here are a few pictures of the piece I made for the show as well as the statement. I used the opportunity to begin the process of working out the idea and also documenting where I am at right now.

The wall before I started...I marked the space with blue tape, then began hanging a collection of items, moving them around, adding and subtracting until it felt complete. I did not photograph every move because I felt it would take away from the process.

detail of drawing on a photocopy of a Victorian bustle

"I see my work as more than just jewelry, I see it as objects that tell the story of my artistic process. I work through ideas and problems and learn about the meaning of my work by collecting, arranging, and processing tangible visual cues, works-in-progress, and finished pieces. I like to place these things in a specific arrangement on a wall in my studio. These pieces from a paper doily to a maquette to a partially made brooch to a complete necklace is evidence that can be studied. Hanging these items on the wall allows me to process the collection every time I walk by it both consciously and subconsciously. Through deliberate and unintentional analysis I am able to recognize patterns, discover visual definitions, self-edit, and develop new ideas. This differs from off the wall study simply because the perspective is physically different. When the work and its accompanying inspirations are grouped together on a wall they create a visual map and further establish the basis for a visual dialogue as they are seen as a whole. I can see how they relate to one another far easier than if they are separate and laying on a table."


the show postcard

Participating artists were asked to create a piece for the wall under the confines of a 2' x 4' space. My piece includes several one-hour exercises I made in the spring, a paper doily, some free-writing, a few chains, a button, a brass teardrop, a drawing on a photocopy, a piece of patterned metal, and some twisted steel wire. Once the piece was done, I took photos and made a diagram so the arrangement could be easily duplicated during the install. You can see more pictures including ones from the opening and the other works here.

Thanks to Tara Locklear and Bob Ebendorf for inviting me! 

Thanks for reading.

No comments: