Pages

Friday, January 3, 2014

Guest Star Friday #127...Liza Lou

Untitled #7

I'm going to change things up a little with my Guest Star series now. Since I feel this shift in my work happening, I'm spending a lot of time reading about artists working in other media besides jewelry. I would like to start sharing these people with you and, because today is the first Friday of the new year, this is the perfect time.


Chain

Today's Guest Star is Liza Lou. I have known about Liza's work for years, learning about her for the first time when I did beadwork in the 90s. I remember seeing her "Backyard" and "Kitchen" installations, unexpectedly, in Grand Central Station and was just blown away. I haven't looked at her work in years but was recently reintroduced and, once again, found myself blown away. Her work has changed considerably--it's now minimal, often monochrome, subtle, quiet…still incredibly labor intensive, intricate, layered…all in woven glass beads.

Devotional, detail

Gather (one million)
Gather (one million), detail

Untitled (Black & White)

Thanks for reading. 

1 comment:

acirnep said...

This work is stunning, thanks for sharing!