Pages

Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Collected Memories Back in the Shop


My recent press in Metalsmith made me look at Collected Memories: 1974-Present again. I have the remaining pieces here in my studio in a box. I don't want them to be in this box. I want them to be out in the world. I want them to be seen and enjoyed…so I have re-listed them in my Etsy Shop with a new price and would love for you to take a look and get one for yourself or as a gift. They are wearable but also look beautiful hanging on a wall, like a drawing or photograph. These pieces are all one-of-a-kind, made with collected materials that I found or were given to me. They are based on my own collection of jewelry: they respond to specific pieces, people or moments, as well as patterns in my collection. 




In 2011 when I made this work, I photographed every single piece of jewelry that I own and then studied the work and the images. I tried to remember how I acquired each piece, I thought about the people who gave me the work, and I noticed how I have collected since I was a child. Between the memories of the materials and the memories of the jewelry, events and people in my life were drawn together to create new memories. The following is from my statement for the series.



In “Collected Memories: 1974-Present,” I analyzed the jewelry I own to discover patterns and to gain further insight into my history with jewelry. The completed installation serves as a timeline of my life with jewelry and a vehicle for intertwining events and people. The works are made using materials I have collected and are assembled in such a way as to emphasize the impermanence and incompleteness of memory.

Installation view from my exhibition at Velvet da Vinci

Of the original 34 pieces, there are 17 left…

Thanks for reading.

No comments: