Pages

Thursday, February 6, 2014

Also Very Interesting...Winter Reading


Next to my favorites posts, this is my other favorite post of the year. Every winter I seem to accumulate and read a number of books related to my work and I love telling you about them. This is an exciting time of the year as I find myself researching new material and investigating topics I'm very curious about. Here are this winter's books:

Memory (above) is a collection of essays by artists and writers about the use of memory in art. This book is an excellent way for me to learn more about the use of memory in my own work. 

 The Poetics of Space by Gaston Bachelard

A book that explores home and how it shapes us…Another perfect book right now, specifically for the work I'm making for my upcoming solo show about home.


In all my years of watching graffiti and street art, I have never read a survey or book about its history. I just felt it was time. 


This is a visually captivating book with "information-visualization" in the form of maps, charts and diagrams...and for me, another way of looking at maps, an ongoing influence in my work. 


A gift from a friend because she knows how fascinated I am with Scandinavian culture…This is a great before-bed read.


I read this in college as an art history minor and I'm revisiting it now in order to reacquaint myself with what I learned years ago...I think this is a good idea considering the shift in my work that I feel coming on. 

Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert, translated by Vladimir Nabokov

I read Madame Bovary three times in high school because my English teacher felt it was the most important work of fiction. This is one of my favorite classics and I'm just beginning to realize how important it is to the work I make. (More on this soon.)

Here are links to my winter reading from 201320122011 and 2010.

Thanks for reading.

No comments: