Pages

Tuesday, February 18, 2014

I Live Here Now, Part 2


I'm down to two weeks until my work has to be shipped to my photographer so I'm in serious hustle mode. I have a lot left to do, but feel good about the path I'm on. I'm working a little differently than usual for this body of work, too. I often work on multiple things at once, maybe two at a time, and usually I complete these before moving on to something else. However, this time I'm working on all the pieces simultaneously. At first, I planned to devote one week per piece, but realized right away that this wasn't going to work because none of my ideas were truly ready. Instead, I've been slowly developing the work as a group with some days spent solely at my bench, other days with research, and others still divided between the two. My ideas become clearer every day, and they also become more complicated. At this point, all I can do is keep working and stay as focused as possible. I cannot think about the end, no matter how eager or stressed I get. And with that said, sometimes the end is all I can think about. 

This new work is layered and each piece has multiple parts which are not limited to jewelry. I'm also working with objects, drawings and text, arrangements and installations. I'm still not ready to really get into the pieces here, but I will say I'm using my mother's wedding dress and stones from the foundation of the house I grew up in. I'm looking to what I keep referring to as "archetypes" from the history of jewelry and I feel I'm creating artifacts of my home. I'm also honoring my life as a jeweler, while also ushering in my hopes for a future in sculpture and installation.



Thanks for reading.

No comments: