Pages

Thursday, February 2, 2012

Also Very Interesting...Winter Reading

Last year I wrote a post about the books I was reading over the winter and thought I would share this year's list as well. (I did end up reading all those books last year by the way!)

Contemporary Jewellers by Roberta Bernabei is a collection of interviews of important European jewelers like Ruudt Peters and Otto Kunzli. The questions she asks are very interesting and I am considering using some of them as teaching tools to get my students to really think about their work.
I picked up Richard Serra Drawing: A Retrospective while I was in San Francisco in the fall. I had just seen the exhibition and was completely enthralled. I am pretty familiar with his sculpture, but not his drawings. I am most interested in his descriptions of process and the why behind the different pieces.
A friend loaned Daybook by Anne Truitt to me over the summer and I finally finished it recently. It is my favorite read of the year. I did not know about Truitt's work, which I now love, until I read this book. It's written as a journal and dives into what it's like to be a working artist. Anne often writes things that have been on my mind that I have not yet been able to articulate. It brought me to tears many times. It's a beautiful book.
Another friend introduced me to the work of Richard Tuttle a few summers ago and I am finally investigting him more fully. I got a copy of his book The Art of Richard Tuttle as a gift for myself about a week ago. It includes lots of pictures and rich text.

To see what I read last winter, please follow this link.

Thanks for reading.

No comments: