Pages

Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Revisiting Older Thoughts: Drawing Iceland


Last year I described a drawing project I had begun in which I layered lines I saw in photographs of Iceland: the edge of a glacier, the curves of moss-covered rocks, the peak of a mountain. I worked steadily on the project for awhile and made a few pieces I really liked. Some drawings are made with several pieces of paper layered on top of one another, each with a single line drawn on it, while others combined several lines onto one sheet. I also liked experimenting with my photocopier or with effects in iPhoto to vary and degrade the line quality. However, the project was put on hold because I got caught up with other work and obligations. I would like to revisit the project now because drawing is something I can do without a studio and because something really nice is happening with these marks. And if anything, drawing these lines again is a way for me to stay connected with my home away from home and the memories tied to every photo I took. 

Sólheimajökull glacier tongue in south Iceland, taken in May, 2014



You can see more images on Flickr including some process pictures.

Thanks for reading.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That looks like it would be satisfying. I always wanted to do a weaving of the layers in the Grand Canyon. Or the Missouri River Breaks. But, alas! time.

Roxy Lentz

Amy Tavern said...

Time is always the struggle, isn't it? I hope you find some... sounds like it would be a beautiful weaving.