Pages

Monday, November 10, 2014

I Live Here Now, in a Garage



I exhibited I Live Here Now in the garage at Velvet da Vinci, not a usual space for a show at the gallery. I'm the first person to have work there, as well as the first person to create a piece specifically for the elevator. The garage at Velvet is a fantastic space and is loaded with potential. It has a tiled, concrete floor, particle board walls and fluorescent lights. It's also full of what I consider to be beautiful details, like peeling paint, exposed cables and unfinished spackling. The dual light sources also add to the beauty of the space, a mix of brassy, man-made light and translucent glowing from the frosted panes of the garage door. Together, the textures, patinas, layered light, muted colors and rough edges were a perfect compliment to my work, and vice-versa. The space and the jewelry worked together in a natural and dynamic way.

I spent a day setting up the show and took my time to consider where each piece would look best. It was a fairly simple process because it was the third time installing this exhibition and also because the space was so inspiring to work with.

 




See more pics on Flickr.

Thanks for reading.

No comments: