Pages

Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Evidence

evidence of process: the lemon I peeled for "Smell,"printed thoughts and research, amethyst beads I didn't use

Process is very important to me and I do love documenting it. However, time during my residency was limited and I did not really use any of it to stop for photos. There are a few, though, and I'm grateful that I have them. I spent three weeks at CCA, arriving each morning between 9:30 and 10. During the first week, I developed my ideas through reading, thinking, writing and sketching. I also visited the gallery to spend time in the elevator to understand the space directly, both physically and mentally. By the end of the week, I had formed a more concrete idea and plan. During the second week, I started to collect the various found objects and I made nine chains. I also started to make the all-metal pieces, like the ear trumpet for "Hearing." Then, in the final week, the bows were made, the metalwork was completed and the necklaces were put together. The whole process was a mixture of constant planning and just allowing the piece to unfold. I was keenly aware of time but tried to hold it loosely. Thinking back, it's interesting to me that the creation of the work itself was mirroring the finished piece: that balance of cognition and intuition that I presented with a collection of tools and 1000 paper bows. 

morning light on my first day

some books I used for research and reference

I tried things that didn't work out…

I spent hours making hundreds of jump rings

The day before I finished the work, I cleaned up my space and arranged the pieces both finished and still in-progress on my table so I could walk into an orderly studio and look with fresh eyes the next day.

my bench at the end of my residency

paper remnants from 1000 bows

See more pictures of process on Flickr.

Thanks for reading.

2 comments:

Catherine Chandler said...

I think one of the best lessons I've learned from my teachers is that residencies are about process, more than an end product. I think yours was fascinating because you go to explore both, teaming up with Velvet daVinci. What an experience! Did you bring your own tools and materials, or did you source them there? I love the end results.

Amy Tavern said...

I totally agree… I brought my own hand tools and some metal, but found/bought everything else there. All the books I used I found there as well… they were in the studio where I was working and I borrowed from friends, too. I really like working like this… going in with as little preconceived notions as possible and finding what I need after I arrive. It is challenging and refreshing. Thanks, Catherine!