Pages

Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Talking and Feeling Good About It

I spent four days in Richmond, VA last week at the VCU/ACC Hand-Crafted Entrepreneurship Symposium and I keep coming back to the word "valued." I felt valued as an artist, a unique feeling that I haven't considered before. I'm sure I've felt it in other experiences, but I didn't know it at the time. My experience at this symposium was enriching, inspiring, and energizing. VCU took excellent care of my fellow presenters and I. Our schedule was full, but not too full and the pace was realistic. The event was well-organized and the staff was warm, friendly, and helpful. The quality and content of the lectures and panel discussion were excellent. The students were engaged, thoughtful, and open to critical response. There were many great talks and lots of commraderie. I also ate a lot of good food. 

The event made me feel like my opinion and my work as an artist and educator is important. Being around like-minded, hard-working, creative people and having an opportunity to help younger artists made me feel like a part of something greater and worthwhile. I was reminded just how much that I love what I do, both as a metalsmith and as a teacher.

My job is awesome.


I didn't take any pictures during the symposium but I'm going to get some to share. I'll write more soon.

Thanks to VCU, ACC, Christopher McElroy, Alex Hibbit, Daniel Michalik, Heather Mae Erickson, Debbie Quick, Danielle Stevens, Susan Iverson, Andrea Connell, Sonya Clark, and Perry Price. I thoroughly enjoyed spending time with all of these people.

And thanks to all the students who attended and to the ones I got to speak with personally. I loved talking and listening to each of them. 

Thanks for reading.

No comments: