Pages

Monday, August 6, 2012

Belgium Catch-up: Contemporary Art


It's catch-up time. I haven't had a chance yet to tell you about a few things I've seen since arriving in Belgium that I found both interesting and inspiring. Here are a few contemporary art works that I love:

The top image is a life-size boat by Erwin Wurm that drips over the edge of a stone wall at the Middelheim Museum in Antwerp. I saw this from a car one day and it made quite an impression on me in that brief moment. I took a walk there later to see it up close and for more than a few seconds; then I liked it even more.

The next two images are from an incredible contemporary art exhibition in Genk: Manifesta 9, the biennial of European contemporary art. It was held in the complex of a former coal mine complete with crumbling walls and peeling paint. The setting alone made the trip for me, but this piece by Ni Haifeng in particular really got my attention. 



2012 



On a recent visit to Knokke I saw "Dune" by Arne Quinze. I love it for its repetition, implied movement, simple construction, and the palette of white and fluorescent orange.

Finally, I saw this piece by Richard Deacon when visiting an exhibition in the ING Brabo Hall building in Antwerp. (I'll tell you about that exhibition soon.) I love the line of this piece. I also love that I stumbled upon it much like all the other pieces mentioned here. I really had no idea I would see these things until I was in front of them, even the work at Manifesta 9. Yes, I knew I was going to Genk to see the show, but I had no idea just how amazing it would be.

More images of Manifesta 9 on Flickr.

Thanks for reading.

No comments: