Pages

Thursday, December 19, 2013

Starting Point


I started working on the "homeland" part of my upcoming solo exhibition on Monday. I've been taking daily walks to allow my mind to wander and also to remember growing up here, to collect photographs and other visual information, and to begin forming ideas. As I walk I try to clear my mind of everything else (easier said than done!) and I try to focus on my work. I've been thinking about the definition of home, or my definition of home, and I'm thinking about ways I can show this in new jewelry. When I get back to the house, I do some writing--sentences, lists, short paragraphs, questions--just get my thoughts recorded for further reference. I would like to walk every day so by early January I have a rich collection of information to work with.


I read an interesting article on Brain Pickings Tuesday night that couldn't have come at a better time. The piece was about a book on generating ideas. A Technique for Producing Ideas by James Webb Young, written in 1939, describes the five basic steps in forming an idea. I was so excited to read the steps--I see each one in my process, especially because I begin with walking, a great place for the process to evolve and happen. I immediately bought a copy for myself and can't wait for it to arrive.


I'll be adding photographs to Flickr and Facebook regularly…or find me on Instagram!

Thanks for reading.

No comments: