Pages

Monday, December 16, 2013

Everything Will Be New

my studio, all packed up

I left Asheville on Thursday in a 10-foot U-Haul truck and drove my studio, my clothes, my books, and my precious collection of art and objects to Upstate New York. The trip was absolutely wonderful and it couldn't have been easier. The weather was perfect for driving, the stereo in the truck was killer (believe it or not!), I had snacks, and I took my time, stopping every so often just so I could take pictures. I did drive through a little snow squall in the last 20 minutes of the drive, but I didn't mind. It was beautiful and it felt welcoming in a strange way. After I put most of my things in a storage unit, I made my way to my parents' house and the sky opened up. As I drove by thfields on the outskirts of town I realized the landscape is similar to Iceland. There are some vast open spaces here and it felt really good to me. I am excited to explore and relearn these places and my hometown in the coming weeks.

Virginia

West Virginia

Pennsylvania

I spent the weekend getting settled into my parents' house, shoveling show, and hanging Christmas lights. I do feel a bit out of sorts--I just uprooted my life and it's been about 20 years since I've lived at home. This will pass, though…

the sky over my storage unit

I will be laying-low the next few weeks as I transition into this new lifestyle. I won't be making any jewelry, but I will be working on ideas for my upcoming solo show in Sweden. I will be walking every day just as I do when I visit a foreign country and I plan to start today. I will collect visual information and thoughts as I observe, take pictures and make notes. Then in early January I will begin making a new body of work.

It's exciting.

Thanks for reading.

No comments: