Last week I began to reveal images of the first piece for my solo show. After creating a scale paper model I began working with a 12" x 6" sheet of 26 gauge sterling silver. I cut the sheet into strips and then began scoring them by filing a groove into the metal. Once I had three grooves I used my saw to make smaller pieces and folded these at the grooves using pliers. I also did a lot of filing and sanding to create subtly rounded corners and soft edges. I made about 76 total pieces, soldering each bent groove for stability. I have posted lots more images on Flickr as well as to my USA Projects "Works-in-Progress" showcase. Please visit either to see more of my process.
It has been an exciting two weeks! I am now 94% funded and less than $400 away from reaching my goal. This is all so unexpected. I did not even imagine that the response from all of you would be so incredible. I have received donations from family and friends, colleagues, artists working in a variety of media, gallery owners, clients, collectors, former students, and my Penland friends. Thank you! Each donation means so much to me!