Pages

Tuesday, June 11, 2013

The Get Away

The first time I visited Reykjavik I went on a little hunt to find all the street art pieces mentioned in a post on Hyperallergic by Ben Valentine...this elephant means I have one more to go! 

I went to Reykjavik on Thursday and Friday of last week and got my fix of art and culture, graffiti and street art, and of course, jewelry. Throw in the Icelandic Tattoo Convention, really good food, and some excellent city hi-jinx with friends and you have one amazing get-away. Here are some highlights:


This was my first time seeing Olafur's work in person and I loved it. The series of photos of Icelandic huts was my favorite--the intimacy of each hut paired with the rather scientific documentation and the grid arrangement...very appealing to me.


Another artist who's work I had not seen in person before...The specific arrangement or presentation of the objects peeked my interest first. Then Clive's use of found materials "as is" and also made into new things caused me to consider the materials' original intent and invented forms.

The window display drew me into this little shop and the fishbone jewelry pulled me in closer.


I had read about this shop when doing my pre-trip jewelry research and it was great to visit--lots of variety with the common thread of simplicity and exquisite craftsmanship. I especially liked the lace pieces.

lava fields on the way back to Skagaströnd
I haven't been able to stop thinking about the lava fields since the first time I saw them from the bus all those weeks ago. On this trip I was able to climb around a bit and experience opposites at work--jagged and rough volcanic rock covered in soft and spongy moss. Amazing.

I will be staying an extra week in Reykjavik before I return to the US and I am looking forward to spending more time there. 
It really is a wonderful little city.

More images on Facebook and Flickr.

Thanks for reading.




No comments: