Pages

Thursday, December 13, 2012

My Metal-Centric Weekend

Last Friday I drove to Raleigh to visit Tara Locklear and to attend several exhibitions. I arrived on Friday and drove with Tara to Greenville to see the MFA thesis show of Leia Zumbro. The show was lovely. (More tomorrow...!) The next day Tara and I worked in her studio and later went to Chapel Hill to attend the opening of Metal 2012 at Light Art + Design. This was my first time at the gallery and I was immediately impressed. The space alone is incredible with its high ceilings, massive support beams, and concrete floors. It has a monumental feel. The work throughout the space is wonderful-- thoughtfully chosen and displayed. The exhibition was fantastic with a variety of excellent jewelry and metalwork. I had a wonderful time visiting with friends and other attendees. A former assistant of mine even came, Emily Breyer. She worked with me one summer at Penland and makes some pretty fantastic jewelry herself. I think it's been two years since I last saw her and it was such a treat to catch up! 
Some of my favorite pieces from the show include Ele Annand's drawings on steel and the jewelry of Ashley Buchanan. (above images)

The next day I met up with Janet Link. Janet is an incredible draughtsman and curated the current Via Penland show at Rebus Works in Raleigh. The show features drawing and includes some of my Line Drawing necklaces. The gallery was closed on Sunday but I got to take a look anyway with Janet close by to talk about the work. All the artists are Penland-affiliated and most of them friends of mine. It was cool to see everyone together in that way, especially my work alongside the work of my friend Rachel Garceau
My Line Drawing No. 8 and ceramic pieces by Rachel Garceau

Next I drove to Charlotte to spend time with Day Hixson, another wonderful metalsmith. Then on Monday I had a private sale at my friend Amy's house. Amy invited her friends and we drank champagne all day. It was so much fun!

...and now I am back in Asheville, but only for a few days before I head to my mom and dad's house for Christmas. I haven't seen them since I left for Belgium and I really can't wait to see them again!

Lots more pics on Facebook!

Thanks for reading.

No comments: