Pages

Thursday, June 21, 2012

Belgium: First Observations



I have only been in Antwerp for a few days and really all I’ve been doing is getting myself settled into my apartment and figuring out things like the bus system, my international calling options, and how I can have the internet in my apartment. In between trips to the Carrefour (my grocery store), I have been walking around my neighborhood, taking pictures of houses and thatched roofs. I am also thinking about my new work for my next solo show…I’m tossing around ideas of travel, sense of home and place, being like a stranger in a strange land, different forms of relationships, opposites, observations and reactions to my surroundings, moments, and glimpses…



I plan to do some writing and sketching this week and hope to begin making things next week. My studio will be at the gallery, “Beyond Fashion,” which I am very excited about. I like the idea of getting on the bus everyday and going into the city to work. I like the idea of working in the space that will house the show and look forward to getting to know my gallerists/hosts Karin and Rene, who have already proven to be wonderful hosts...my first night here I met them at the gallery, we had a nice visit over coffee, and then they took me to dinner before driving me to my apartment and showing me around.

More thatched roof pictures on Flickr.

Thanks for reading.




No comments: