Pages

Tuesday, September 16, 2008

item of the week


this week's item of the week is the stacking rings from my steel and gold collection. i know i have mentioned this before and it may be old news to some, but that class i took with maria phillips a few years ago and the things i learned there play a significant role in my work today. this is vastly evident in my steel and gold collection. i learned how to solder steel with gold in this class. i experimented with some old binding wire that was lying around in the studio and the 18K gold solder i had on hand. i made a bunch of simple rings and forged them into different shapes, hammering each along its surface and sides with more or less force every stroke. i loved the results - simple shapes in near-black metal hints of bright gold. later these little pieces turned into an entire collection. my stacking rings are closest to the originals, except they are always round:

please enjoy 20% off the stacking rings for the week sept 16-22.
originally $70 for a set of 3, on sale for $56.

thanks for reading.

2 comments:

Meg said...

I love the darkness of the steel with the touch of gleam from the gold, just lovely.

michelle pajak-reynolds said...

Hi Amy,

These are great! Maria is such a great teacher. I was fortunate enough to study with her my final year at Kent State. It was one of the best years I ever had.....

Keep up the great work :)
Michelle