Pages

Wednesday, February 13, 2013

One-a-Day: Reminant Anchors

Reminant Anchors by Spencer Herr

Today's One-a-Day is by Asheville artist, Spencer Herr. I first saw Spencer's work at American Folk Art in Asheville a few weeks ago. I'm interested in his use of opposites, something that comes up continually for me in my own studio. He uses both realism and abstraction combined with layering to create his figures--skillful detail, rough and blurred brush strokes, partially hidden thin lines. The combination of these devices conveys thoughts of things that once were, suggestions or hints of the subject existing in two different places, or a concept that is being questioned. This particular piece, "Reminant Anchors" and others in the same series have a ghostly feel that I am especially drawn to as well.

Thanks for reading.

No comments: