Pages

Saturday, April 20, 2013

Three Days in Florence: Art, Architecture, and Graffiti

Duomo


In addition to beautiful jewelry and clothing, I also took in much art and architecture and a little bit of graffiti. My visit to the Uffizi Gallery proved inspiring. The fact that it took a mere 30 minutes to get in (I was told to be prepared for a long line) and the crowd inside was at what seemed a minimum (I was also told it can be mobbed inside) set the tone. I spent the most time with Botticelli (Birth of Venus and Primavera...huge sigh.) but also visited, Madonna with the Long Neck by Parmigianino twice. It is one of my all-time favorites! The Mannerist style really made an impression on me years ago in my survey of art history class and I have never forgotten this piece. I did not remember that it lives at the Uffizi, though, and was a very happily surprised when it greeted me as I walked into the room.


religious icons get me again and again, especially images of Mary, like this one at Santa Croce
When I visit a new place I tend to go inside as many churches as I can. The Basilica di Santa Croce, completed in 1385, is pretty incredible. It is vast and extravagant and has beautiful streaming light. It is also the home of the tombs of Michelangelo and Galileo, among other Italian greats. Although, I chose to not go inside the famous Duomo, I did spend a lot of time studying the exterior and the dome (top picture).

from Murder Mystery Series by Cindy Sherman

Also on display at the Gucci Museum, which I wrote about yesterday, was an exhibition of early works by Cindy Sherman in the museum's contemporary art space. I have seen very little of her photography in person, especially her earlier pieces, so it was wonderful to spend time with her work. She is truly a master of gesture and detail.


Unfortunately, I did not find a whole lot of graffiti or street art on my long walks around Florence, but I did find this wheatpaste that I really like.

David at Accademia Gallery

Finally, I got to see David which was simply awesome. He is so life-like (there are veins in his arms and legs!) and I expected him to started breathing or just walk away. Incredible. Enough said.

More photos on Facebook and Flickr.

Thanks for reading.



No comments: