Pages

Monday, April 8, 2013

London Again

19th century jewelry at the British Museum

The first stop on my Europe Part 2 trip was London. I spent just two days there but packed in tons of stuff. The first day I arrived very early in the morning and after putting my luggage in storage at my apartment I hopped on the tube and went to the British Museum. I specifically went to see the wonderful collection of 19th century jewelry and then weaved my way through several more rooms to see as much jewelry as I could from other time periods. My favorite piece was this gold cape from the Bronze Age.

Gold Cape at the British Museum

Spare Parts

Later that evening I met up with metalsmith Mark Fenn and went to the opening reception of "Spare Parts," a solo exhibition of the work of David Clarke at Gallery SO. I know both artists via Facebook so it was fantastic to meet them in person and spend some time. David's show was great to view up close, too. 

Raven Row Gallery

The next day I went to Raven Row Gallery to see an exhibition of the work of Běla Kolářová. I was not familiar with her work until I visited this show and I'm so glad I did not miss it! Her photographs of arranged objects, collages of broken razor blades, and prototypes for jewelry were incredibly appealing to me. 

Běla Kolářová "Enclosed World" in broken razor blades

Běla Kolářová "The Alphabet of Things"

Běla Kolářová - prototypes for earrings

Crafted

Next I visited Somerset House where I saw two different exhibitions: "Crafted: Makers of the Exceptional" and "Landmark" The Fields of Photography". Crafted featured the work of artists in a variety of media and included mock studios and Landmark was simply astonishing. 

Finally, I visited the Victoria and Albert both Friday and Saturday. On Friday I met up with Helen Carnac and we looked at the collection of contemporary ceramics. Then on Saturday I indulged myself with yet another visit just to see the jewelry which I will never, ever tire of. I got there right as the museum opened so I had about 20 minutes completely alone. It was heaven. 

To see more photos please visit Facebook or Flickr.

Thanks for reading.


No comments: