Pages

Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Textílsetur, Part 1


So much has happened since I arrived at Textílsetur Íslands, so much that it's been hard for me to keep up on the blog between working in my studio, taking my long walks, and going on day-trips. Over the next three days I will attempt to share some highlights, and today I want to begin with the space itself...

As I mentioned a few weeks agoTextílsetur Íslands is located in Kvennaskólinn, a former women's school, situated at the estuary of the Blanda River and Húnaflói Bay. The second floor of the building is dedicated to the residency and includes private bedrooms, a kitchen, a living room, bathroom with laundry, and two large shared studios, one for weaving and one for other textile arts. There is such history here and I love the feeling or the energy that immerses all the rooms. Photographs of classes from years passed line the walls and the original furniture is still in use. I have met many women who went to school here and also met a former headmistress. I have my own private room and studio and feel being alone in this small space has been beneficial to my work. I have needed the silence and solitude for this piece specifically. (More on that soon.)









Thanks for reading.

No comments: