Pages

Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Question and Answer

English version of the interview


I was interviewed by SÍM for their recent newsletter and it was published just days ago. I was asked about my projects and about how the residency was affecting my work:

Q: What are you working on at the SIM residency?

A: I am working on ideas…I'm reading and researching contemporary artists and various art movements to discover more about myself and the work that I make. I am also thinking and writing. I take a walk almost every day just to think and observe and I take photos as I go. Finally, I am spending time closely examining my photographs and short videos, giving them more attention than I have in the past. I think something interesting is happening with them and I am trying to pay attention.

an image from the series "11 Minutes" 

Q: Do you feel that the residency and or Iceland is affecting your work?

A: I feel that the residency and Iceland are affecting my work in a positive manner. SÍM and the surrounding landscape provide time and space and both are exactly what I need at this point in my artistic life.

a still from a video I made in Höfn, southeast Iceland

In addition to the questions and images that appear in the newsletter, I was asked a few other questions and gave SÍM a bunch of images to pick from. Here's some of what was not included, including the images I have posted now:

Q: First impression of Iceland/Reykjavík?

A: When I stepped off the plane for the first time last year, I felt simultaneously excited and at ease. It felt like I was coming home.

Q: First word you learned in Icelandic?

A. fullkomin (translation: perfect)

rope arrangement from Fieldwork Presentation #1

Q: Where‘s the energy in Iceland?

A: It's everywhere but I feel it most when standing in a moss-covered lava field or when looking at a glacier.

Icelandic version of the interview

You can read the interview and view the entire newsletter here

Thanks for reading.

No comments: