Pages

Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Homage

Family

I've been back in the U.S. for just over three months, about the same amount of time I was abroad. My life in Europe feels incredibly far away, almost like it happened years ago, but it also feels like yesterday. I haven't devoted a post to any final thoughts on my experience overseas and since I've been doing a lot of looking-back lately, I realize now is a great time to do just this. 

My 90 days in Belgium were life-changing, as I hoped they would be. The experience far exceeded every expectation I had. It was as wonderful as I imagined and even more wonderful than I ever thought it could be. It was also exactly as challenging and hard as I thought it would be, although these moments were rare. I loved every single minute of amazement and difficulty. Traveling alone is probably the greatest thing I have ever done--experiencing things for the first time and being alone while relying on myself to find my way was incredible. I felt more like myself during this time and the entire experience makes me feel like I can do anything now. 

One of the best unexpected things that happened was the relationship that developed between my gallerists at Beyond Fashion, Karin and Rene and their family, and me. Before I left the U.S., I thought they would be welcoming and helpful, but I did not think they would extend their generosity in the way that they did. They invited me to spend time with them and helped me find what I needed. We became close and I left Belgium with dear friends and a sense of family. 

When it comes to the work I made, I did not know what to expect. I deliberately went to Belgium without a lot of tools and only a small piece of sheet silver and my leftover 18 gauge sterling wire. I tried to not think about what I would make until I was there and made no plans for the body of work I would produce. I just knew I wanted to find my ideas in my new surroundings. I spent the first few weeks getting settled into my new home, gathering more tools and materials, and collecting images from walking and exploring. In a short period of time I had sketches, short writings, and hundreds and hundreds of images all focused on my observations. It was then that realized this is where the work would come from. It was so simple and made so much sense. Next I started looking at all of this information and considered how I could translate it into jewelry. I began making the work in a simultaneously controlled and spontaneous way, choosing one piece to work on every day and leaving the studio with a finished piece about eight hours later. Focusing on one idea a day, gave me the structure and routine I needed, it helped me maintain a clear mind, and also allowed room for an idea to take form intuitively. By late August my show was complete.
my gallerist and me after my lecture

The opening reception and preceding lecture were wonderful. I was very happy with the work and was surrounded by friends.
Karen Vanmol, Ria Lins, and Linda Savineau at the opening reception

I am giving a presentation at the Yuma Symposium in February about my trip and solo show and I can't wait to share my experience with others. I had such an amazing time and just want to talk about it. I also want to honor it. When I got back to the U.S. I had to compartmentalize the experience in order to get back to real life. Before I knew it, it was almost like it had never happened. I am not comfortable with this. I don't want to just put it away with other memories and not acknowledge how awesome it was and do so in a big way. A presentation at a conference is perfect. I will publish the lecture texture here and create a set on Flickr after I return from Yuma in late February. 

I am sure those 90 days will continue to inform my work for years to come.
one of my favorite things I saw: 
Our Lady of Sorrows at Carolus Borromeus

I took over 5000 (!) pictures and put the best ones on Flickr. Please take a look if you haven't yet.

I know I've said this already, but I'm counting the days until I get on that plane again. Today marks 75 days to go. 

Thanks for reading. 

2 comments:

Tracy S. said...

"Traveling alone is probably the greatest thing I have ever done--experiencing things for the first time and being alone while relying on myself to find my way was incredible. I felt more like myself during this time and the entire experience makes me feel like I can do anything now."

This whole paragraph is just wonderful! Yes, absolutely my experience, too. You express this so beautifully. Thank you for taking the time to write these posts. :)

Amy Tavern said...

Thank you so much...for taking the time to read my post and for leaving a comment. It is always nice to know when people relate...it means a lot to me. Thanks.