Pages

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

I Left My Jewelry in San Francisco: Part 7

My show closes in just two days. Two. Crazy! All that work, all that time. Nearly a year in the making, it was an absolutely incredible experience and totally worth it--every little bit of stress, uneasiness and insecurity, all the excitement and triumphant moments. I have added a series of process images to Flickr so you can see how I made most of work. I haven't shown these images (except Cleopatra) until now because I decided to keep the work hidden while I was making it. In hindsight, I know this was a good choice because making this work was involved and challenging in a way that I had never experienced before. I often had no idea what to say and had to internalize my thoughts and feelings. However, keeping it hidden also made it feel unreal, almost like it didn't exist, and this made me feel unsure about the work. I realize now I was at once intimately involved and aware of each piece, yet I was also disconnected. Then, when I saw it all together during the installation, it felt real to me and I was finally able to feel excited.
When I returned to Penland I put together a show of process works, titled "With My Heart on My Sleeve." You can also see images from that event on Flickr. Finally,  I added a series of images to Facebook that show highlights from the show and my trip to San Francisco.

Thanks for reading and thanks for all your support and encouraging words over the past year. I sincerely appreciate every little bit!

No comments: